Friday, April 4, 2008

Rise and Shine

Hi Again,

It's Jen, I'm updating the blog on Melissa's behalf becuause she is currently snoring. Well not really, but she did fall asleep at about 8pm tonight. These are the things we discussed on the way home that she wanted to have everyone know.

Erik's tube that connected him to the ventilator was removed this morning as well as the medication he was getting for sedation. He is now able to respond verbally to people around him. He knows Melissa and has spoken of Tanner. He is acting like Erik. He has stated that he is in quite a lot of pain. However, he is alert enough to ask for pain medication and rate how severe his pain is on a scale of 1-10 for the nurse. He even told the nurse today he wanted "continuous pain medication". When she said no he flipped her off behind her back. (Hope Melissa doesn't mind I repeated that but I found it to be really reassuring!) I brought in some things for him and he said "Thanks Jen". Although I am sad that he is having pain I am SO grateful that he can TALK to us now. It is so amazing, I really feel like it is a miracle.

I spoke to Dave a few minutes ago after his and Rian's visit with Erik. I'll let Dave or Rian elaborate on the high points of their interactions with Erik but I'll just say it sounds like his wit, humor, and sarcasm are intact. Thank you again for all the support and love you have given Erik, Melissa, and Tanner.
Jen Johnstun

6 comments:

erikmoline said...

I'd just like to leave a quick comment regarding cory's comment. I have known Cory for about as long as I have known Erik, yet the bastard still doesn't know how to spell my name! Thanks Cori, thanks a lot :) -rIan

The Harrahs said...

This is great news! We are thinking about you all. We plan to stop by the hospital this afternoon. Love and Hugs, The Harrahs

The Harrahs said...

This is such great news! We are thinking about you all. We plan to stop by the hospital this afternoon. Love and Hugs, The Harrahs

GRAMA KAREN&JIMBO said...

Hi Melissa,
DANCE SING,AND SHOUT! YOU Have every right to be HAPPY! There's always Hope,Faith & Love that keeps us all together in times like this. Melissa you and your family have been SAVED!! This week has proven that to all of us who love you and Erik and little Tanner!
Keep up your strength, take care of yourself and Tanner! I loved helping you out Tuesday and I'm glad I made you laugh when you were at a low! I'm making that DAMN
tuna casserole for Sunday and dessert too! ENJOY! {No Peas}:}
Jim and I love you guy's and know we are just a phone call away!
Grama Karen and PaPa JIMBO as Erik always say's!! :}

Cory Penselin said...

Sorry RIAN! I am a bastard. I guess it would have been easier to look at how you spelled your name on your blogs, but as you know, I do thing how I want. I still love you.
cori

Cory Penselin said...

Sorry RIAN!! As you know I seem to do things the way I want. It would have been easier to look at how you spelled you name on your blogs.
cori