Sunday, April 13, 2008

Phone Call

Erik just called me on the phone to say goodnight. What a great feeling. I was just wishing that I could call and talk to him but didn't know it was possible. It was like he was reading my mind. Today Tanner saw Erik for the first time. He was a little scared but he didn't freak out. I think that it went ok, although I felt bad for Erik. Tomorrow afternoon we will go back together & Tanner will bring Erik some icecream. I think with each passing day it will be easier for Tanner, just like it was for the rest of us when we first saw Erik.

Erik was doing so great today. He is really acting like his old self again. I think he is actually more sarcastic and more funny than before. Maybe I just appreciate him more now than ever and so I hang on to his every word. Maybe its just good to see Erik almost back to his old self again...Whatever it is, I'm glad he's here. He was able to get up, take a couple steps (shuffles) and sit in a chair today (with help). He ate his lunch sitting in the chair for about 1/2 hour or so. It was very painful & with a lot of resistance, but he did it! He seems much more comfortable standing up than sitting to me. Maybe tomorrow he will take some more steps (keep your fingers crossed).

Erik's eyes are still pretty swollen, but its going down slowly. It is best for him to be in the sitting position to help the swelling go down more quickly, but he is most comfortable laying down. The nurse was actually able to pry his lids apart today and he saw my blurry face from his left eye. His eyes were glued shut so it took a lot of TLC to get them open. At least we know they can open now & that he can still see.

I wanted to let you know that Erik could be moved out of OHSU this week because he is stable. (COULD BE, don't hold me to this) There are two types of care after the hospital. The GOAL is to get him into Providence Acute Rehabilitation Center, which specializes in brain trauma. This is an Inpatient facility (he'll live there) and it people see very quick recovery after admission. In order for him to be accepted into this facility, he must be able to cooperate in 3 hours of Physical/occupational/speech therapy per day (total). It seems doubtful to me that he would be ready for this yet.
If they decide he is not ready for 3 hrs of therapy per day he will probably need to go to a Skilled Nursing Facility until he can meet the criteria. A Skilled Nursing Facility is pretty much a nursing home. What I am looking for is a Skilled REHAB nursing Facility. These types of places have PT/OT/Speech therapy that will help him achieve the 3 hour goal. Unfortunately these places are not occupied with people in their 30 somethings and they are not the hospital. I am checking out places tomorrow...after seeing one highly recommended place, I don't anticipate being excited about any of them. We all need to remember that there is not a lot of choices out there and that hopefully Erik will be at the Providence Acute Rehab center very soon. He will come home after the Providence Rehab Center & possibly need more outpatient PT/OT/Speech Therapy.

Finally, I wanted to say that while Erik is at OHSU & you are still visiting him there you need to check out the Sculpture Garden off of floor 9. You follow the signs to the tram and stay left after you find the tram. You will see doors leading to a 2 level outdoor patio on your right. The view is AMAZING. The garden is so well done and you can see the tram and all its cables from this point also. I hope you are able to find it on a clear day. I wish Erik would open up his eyes and get into a wheelchair so I can show it to him! I will be sure to share it with him some day in the future.

5 comments:

erikmoline said...

Melissa, Try looking into RIO. It stands for Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon or something like that. It's in NW P-Town. A guy I work with is married to a PT. She said this place is top notch, nationally known, and highly recommended. -Rian

Bob Schatz said...

Melissa
Good idea having Erik on the phone. If he is board would he be able to receive or make as many phone calls as he likes, without running up some sort of bill? I am sure we can all make a call to keep in touch, I got a few jokes. They are pretty bad so he won't have to laugh to hard and hurt himself.

Bob

Cory Penselin said...

saThis is pretty amazing that he has recovered this much in such a short time. I am very happy to hear this. I hope to see you guys soon. I will try to be up tomorrow.
Cory

Jen Hunt said...

Dave and I were up at the hospital both Saturday and Sunday and I can not believe how great Erik looks and sounds. Although he is still in so much pain and can not open his eyes, he still is doing so much better than I could have ever imagined in only two weeks. We brought Emily up yesterday to see him and I think it meant a lot to Erik he gave her the biggest hug and told her that he loved her. She misses her uncle Erik as much as we all do, so I was so glad that she let him give her a hug. Melissa brought his guitar up so that he could play us some toons, he did awesome. Erik is such a strong person and Melissa is amazing, I'm sure that he will be home sooner than we all expect. Thank you so much for all your love and support, we are all so lucky to have such a great group of friends. Jen

robbie said...

I think him calling you on the phone is HUGE. It really shows progress and I am sure touched your soul Melissa. I talked to Erik on phone the other night and he sounded like the old Erik. He sounded good..tired, but good. I think alot of his recovery is a direct result of the love and support he has received from everyone. And I have to say, I am amazed and so very proud of how you all have stepped up at such a critical time to help out a friend. It speaks to the character of the group as a whole. It warms my heart to see it. Love, Robbie