Friday, April 25, 2008

Friday

Today we went to an appointment with the ophthalmologist (eye doctor). The appointment was in the Providence Professional building on the same property, adjacent to the hospital. The doctor took a bunch of measurements along with the standard vision tests. Erik's eyesight really isn't bad at all. It is 20/25 in one eye and 20/40 in the other. Mine is around 20/450 in both eyes so I would say Erik's pretty good (yes I'm blind as a bat without contacts). The big problem is his double vision. She said that this may or may not correct itself. From the looks of it, his double vision is pretty severe. It has to do to damage to nerves - nerves in the brain. We made an appointment for a month down the road. The ophthalmologist will measure his eyesight again at that time and compare the results with todays exam. If things don't start getting better then Erik might be looking at another surgery in about 6 months. Erik is only seeing double vision out of his right eye - this is the eye that the surgery would be preformed in. Until we know more, Erik will be wearing a eye patch on his eye (if he wants to). We have the rest of the pirate costume in our Halloween box from the last two years. We might need to break out the other eye patch for Tanner to wear around.

Wednesday we went to the ENT doctor (Ear Nose Throat). Erik has been concerned because his jaw feels out of alignment...one set of molars hits before the other. I can see it visually, his jaw looks a little out of symmetry (just a little). The ENT doctor examined him and said that his jaw is a little out of alignment...but very close. He said that it is so close that he does not want to break his jaw and re-align it. The solution is to wait for Erik to heal a bit more and send him to the Dentist. The Dentist will sand down his teeth on one side in order to make his bite more comfortable.

As for visiting this weekend. Erik will be available after 3:00 for visitors both Saturday and Sunday, his therapy schedule is busy in the mornings. Erik will also have time to visit at lunch time from 12:00-1:00 - meals are always a good time to see him because he is awake and not in therapy. The very best time to visit is 6:30 or later at night because he is lonely and antsy. He gets homesick in the evenings, and I am unable to be there because I am with Tanner at that time.

Next week is going to be crazy and busy. All day Monday and Tuesday Morning we are going to spend the day learning how to function at home alone. We will be in 'training' with the various therapists. Tuesday afternoon will be Erik's first car ride. He has an appointment with the Plastic Surgeon at OHSU. Erik is not looking forward to getting in a car, it will be good to get it over with safely and move on. I think that each time he gets in a car it will be easier; at least that was how it was for me. Wednesday Erik is getting discharged, and also has an appointment at noon at OHSU with the neurosurgeon. Even though he is busy, Erik would like visitors Monday & Tuesday during lunch at 12-1 and after 5:30ish at night (before 8:30 AM is ok too).

Wednesday is coming fast - I feel like we have a lot to accomplish until then. I still feel like I am diving into the unknown. I hope I am more sure of myself before Wednesday, I know I will be - I will make sure of it. I am really looking forward to a month from now. I think that in a month we will have our routine down and our new life will feel more 'normal'.

No comments: