Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Letter From Melissa

Thank you so your outstanding support at this time. I am very scared and it is comforting to know that Erik, Tanner & I are so very loved. I have NO DOUBT that I have an amazing bunch of people around me. Not one of our friends or famly hasn't offered to help in ANY way. I know you are there, and I WILL take you up on your offer. This is going to be a VERY long recovery. I will need to take you up on your offer to help.

The truth is, I don't really what I need right now except for Erik to get better & the doctors and nurses to give me positive news. Other than that I am just letting other people tell me what to do.

I am trying to keep Tanners life as stable as possible. For now (and that’s all that I can focus on at the moment) I am trying to spend at least an hour or two with Tanner every morning and evening. Which translates me being at the hospital SOMEWHERE around 10:30 to 6 (at the earliest and at the latest) It sounds like Erik is in going to be in a Drug Induced Coma all of the time at first, and most of the time for over a week (more?). Once he wakes up, who knows what will happen. I will be balancing being there for Erik, when he is awake, and being with Tanner so that he does not loose both of his parents.

As far as I can tell: (I don't think I can post phone numbers here because who knows who may get them. Call a family member or one of the names below and they can give you any phone number you may need.)

Dave Hunt is in charge of Logistics/paperwork type stuff. I think we need legal help. I know Eric Weiland and Uncle David may be able to help – I don’t know which one of you is better suited to help with car companies & government disability type work.

Rian Hakala is the family Liaison. He will be getting regular updates every morning and informing Me on Erik’s progress. If change has happened he will also update the blog. If you have questions about Erik and need answers, Rian is your guy.

Daro Aberle and Jen Hunt are in charge of scheduling Tanner’s care.I know for sure that we have daily care all week long. Wed-Friday he will be attending Shari kidscare, Shari is his normal childcare provider. Thank you Shari, this is really important to me. I am grateful that you agree that it is important that Tanner have some type of normalcy.
Mondays and Tuesdays he will bounce around the various ‘at home parents’ houses. So yes that means you Tom, Michelle, and Shawna (and of course Daro and Wendy). Weekends, is for the grandparents; Andy & Jana (Eriks parents) and My parents (Jan and Rick). Thank you so much guys!!!!!! It feels good to know that Tanner is being taken care of. I think Daro and Jen are setting up some sort of on-call thing for the evenings and weekends (for when Erik wakes up especially)

The OHSU trauma team, neurological and optometry team are obviously in charge of Erik. I have been told 500 times that this is the best place he can be. I am not a religious person, but for those of you that are, pray for Erik - I am. I know that does not make much since but what else can you say but please GOD make him better. (this does not mean that ‘Melissa needs be saved right away’ – please don’t try to)

And for you concerned dog people, Cooper is at Wendy’s house - frolicking happily through the house with not a care in the world. He now has two new doggie friends and will probably never want to come home.

Robbie Hunt called the news channels. I believe that a story of the accident will be run on channel 8 – maybe other channels also. Kristen and Rian set up a bank account at US Bank. If you would like to donate, go to the bank and tell them it’s for the Erik Moline Fund.


This is what I’m telling Tanner. Daddy has big owies. He is in the hospital, with the doctors and he is sleeping. He is sleeping to get his owies better. I think he understands everything except the word hospital (which he will know too soon). He repeated to me: “daddy has owies. Daddy is sleeping:” He is wonderful, he is 2. That is the extent of what he understands…He is very happy still. Which is helpful for me. I go to the hospital and tell Erik everything that Tanner did today. I don’t think he understands, but he hears my voice and I hope that is comforting to him.

Finally I can see in your eyes, everyone is very concerned about me. You people are staring at me and you look scared too. I know that you are thinking who’s in charge of Melissa? So far someone has been with me day and night. There are plans for this to continue to happen until the weekend. I think I may need people with me longer. These people have been taking care of me. I am sleeping, and eating. I know that I’m crazy and severely depressed. I went to the doctor and got medication to slow my shaking and anxiety attacks. If I seem numb – it is on purpose. If you think I don’t look numb -trust me…I feel much better than I did on Sunday. I’m sorry for those who saw me not medicated – I know that was very scary. I got some medication to make me sleep. I know that at this moment, while Erik is still sleeping, it is most important to take care of Tanner and myself. While Erik is sleeping I am doing everything possible to make me as strong as I can for when he wakes up. If he heals well, then he will have a lot of feelings and mostly he will be very scared. I want to be strong for him & I am taking this time to get me as well as possible. It DOES help to see you at the hospital. I like it. I am a people person and it feels good to know that your there for me.

I know that you will probably laugh a little when reading this letter thinking that even at this horrifying and terrible time, I am still giving information and being organized and taking control. These things make me feel (minutely) more normal and a little better and the REAL purpose of this letter is to let you know that I did not organize any of this. And it is also to let you know that I KNOW things are being taken care of. It is also to let you know who to call to give me help. & If you think something is being missed, who to call to find out if it is being done.

Finally, for those of you who are technologically challenged – this is a blog (web log). There are only a few people who can make major posts on the front – Me, Rian, and Daro. If you have some big news that needs to be said to everyone…tell one of us & we’ll get it up for you. The blog is organized by date. The oldest post is at the bottom and the newest is at the top. On the right you can access older posts by clicking on the month. EVERYONE can leave comments by clicking on the little comment button at the end of each post (a post = 1 persons entry). PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS. I like them. I will check it & so will everyone els. Everyone can see your comments. If you have something to say that you don’t want anyone else to read, email me directly.

Again, Thank you everyone for helping our family through this terrible time.

Melissa

3 comments:

shawnawks said...

Hi Melissa! I just wanted you to know that if there is absolutly anything you need, if you need lunch or dinner or just want some company, please call me, no matter what it is. I am here for you.

all of my love
Shawna

Unknown said...

I am glad that Taylor letter cheered you. If Tristan could write he would have too! They both love "Uncle" Erik, who always has time for them & a squirt gun or two!! We all would love to help in anyway possible whether its meals, watching Tanner or just being there! Dont hesitate to call on us for anything! Shannon Hakala

GRAMA KAREN&JIMBO said...

Hey Melissa!
Dance, Sing, Shout your heart out girl! You have every reason to be HAPPY for your family! There's always Hope, Faith, & Love to keep us all together! This week has proved that to all of us! Keep up your strength and know we are all here for you, Erik and little Tanner! I loved helping out on Tues and making you breakfast etc. I'm so glad I made you laugh!!
I will make that damn Tuna Casserole Sunday and Dessert too! {No Peas}like you asked! ENJOY!
Jim and I love you guy's and are here for you anytime day or night. were just a phone call away!We are so glad Erik is responding and talking. Let him know we LOVE him!
Love "Grama" Karen & Jimbo as Erik always say's!