Friday, April 4, 2008

From Cory on 4/2

This is an important comment that Cory left....Just thought I'd highlight it.

I am one of those medical people Ryan had mentioned. I can try to fill in some on the medical stuff. For those who do no know, I have worked in emergency medicine for 12 years, 8 of those as a Paramedic.
The pneumonia Ryan was referring to is Aspiration Pneumonia. As was mentioned this is very common for what Erik had to go through. Some of what I say may seem kind of gross, but I want to give you a good idea of what sounds like is going on. Aspiration pneumonia occurs when vomitis &/or blood get down your airway into your lungs. This is why the medics intubated (breathing tube)Erik. This serves 2 purposes. One to protect his airway from any further invaders (fluids). The other is to make sure Erik maintains adequate ventilation.
Hearing that Erik may be taken off the vent is great news!! As Ryan mentioned this will help clear up the pneumonia. With the ventilator, the air is being pushed into Eriks lungs. This allows for good ventilation & allows him to breathe, yeah obviously a good thing. When he breathes on his own, this allows the muscles & lung tissue to be able to pull that fluid out of his lungs, making it easier to take full & non labored breaths.
The Tracheotomy or trach is a tube that is inserted directly into his neck (his trachea). This is common for trauma injuries such as this. The idea is this is a more long term airway. This allows Erik to close his mouth & get the regular saliva to lube his mouth. This also reduces the irritation that the breathing tube in his mouth can cause. This looks wrong, gross & even midevil. I assure you it is not. You will only be able to see the head of the tube where it connects to the ventilator. There will be tape or some other type of devise to hold the trach in place that will cover most if not all of the wound. Depending on the type of trach used, he may be able to whisper some words, but that is VERY dependant on other issues. Strength & actually being awake are two obvious issues & can think of.
My heart is broken to see this happen to one of my best friends, as I am sure all of you feel the same. I was able to see Erik on Sunday after be got out of surgery. He was very swollen up like a balloon & appeared alien. I got to see him again on Tuesday & he looks great. Now keep in mind that I have seen these type of thing before, so I have a different perspective. The swelling was down & I could make out his facial features. I say he looks great, so that just means that there are improvements. All that fluid that was in his head has to go somewhere, so that will explain the leaking form his fore head & nose. This is normal drainage. It looks a little gross, but this is very good & part of the healing process.
Erik is a tough young guy. With all the improvements he has made, this is still going to be a very long road for him, Melissa & Tanner.
I am so happy to have such an incredible group of friends that are there for the Molines without any hesitation. Being 90+ miles away makes this very tough for me & Steph. We will be up to visit as much as we can. If there is anything we can do to fill in any details that need attention we are available. Much love to the Molines & all our friends.
Cory Penselin

No comments: