Thursday, May 1, 2008

We need Help...

Erik is home now and we are working on getting our life back together. Today we got a huge blow: I was hoping to start work next week but I just found out that we DO NOT have an insurance benefit to help pay for a caregiver for Erik. We can not afford to pay for someone to come into our house to care for Erik. Now is when we need your help. I need to get back to work.

What I am asking here is a big deal. Erik needs 24 hour care and I need to get back to work. What I need is this; at least a 4 hour block of time during the weekday that you can care for Erik. It makes it even more difficult because will need to be 1 on 1 care which means children can not come. I have daycare for Tanner from around 7am-5pm and I would like to work as much as possible during this time frame. My job is very flexible (thanks a million Bob) so my schedule depends on your schedule.

Almost anyone is able to care for Erik. If you can help, I will show you exactly what needs to be done, but here is a good idea of what a day would look like:

You will need to be able to 'spot' Erik Physically. He can walk around but is a little unsteady on his feet and needs a steady hand to guide him sometimes. He has never had a fall, but we need to be ready for one. Erik needs to be fed meals, given medications and reminded to do everyday things. He IS able to use the toilet on his own. He will need to be driven to appointments including therapies and/or doctor appointments. He will need someone to do 'homework' with him. It is all very simple stuff, but it is a lot of hard work for Erik, and he resists. Sometimes it is hard to get Erik out of bed, or up to eat. He will do it with enough pressure.

I want you all to know, that we really appreciate everything that you have done for us. We have been really taken care of. We are eating because of your food, we are smiling because of your cards, are minds are being taken off things because of your visits, we are able to pay our bills because of your donations. Thank you so much for everything that you have done. We can not Thank you enough for being such great friends and family. We are surrounded by wonderful people. Thanks for being so great.

Again, what we are asking here is a big deal. If you don't feel comfortable in helping in this way, it is ok. We feel like we have already tapped our 'helper' resources and this is really a lot to ask. Erik is very capable of a lot of things, but being a caregiver for Erik may be difficult emotionally and maybe a little physically (less so physically). Even one 4 hour time slot will help - so if you feel comfortable being a caregiver in this way, please let me know. The doctor told me that maybe in a month I will be able to leave Erik alone for 1/2 hour while I drop Tanner off at the babysitter. I am unsure how long Erik will need a full time caregiver, but it may be several months or longer?

Please call me or email as soon as possible if you have time to be help us in this way. If you want to ask questions before you commit, thats perfectly ok too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you,

Melissa

No comments: